Thomas M. Gregor
Thomas Gregor is an accomplished trial lawyer who has achieved exceptional results for plaintiffs and defendants before judges, juries, and arbitrators. He maintains an active and diverse practice that includes commercial litigation and international arbitration matters with recent emphasis on contract disputes in the petrochemical, steel trading, and energy sector, as well as telecommunications, media law, and securities litigation.
Thomas has represented clients in matters involving hundreds of millions of dollars in dispute, as well as matters in which only equitable relief is at stake. His clients range from Fortune 50 companies to mid-size trading companies, book authors, newspaper publishers, concert promoters, small business owners, and individuals. His shrewd litigation strategy and killer instincts are belied by an easy going and relaxed style that puts both clients and juries at ease.
Although based in Houston, Thomas has litigated matters throughout the State of Texas and internationally, including cases before the American Arbitration Association (AAA), JAMS, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), and the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA). In addition to his active trial practice, Thomas is also a sought after commentator on First Amendment and open government issues and has been quoted in the Houston Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, the Austin American Stateman, the El Paso Times, and many other publications.
Representative Cases and Experience
- Obtained seven figure judgment in the London Court of International Arbitration on behalf of Houston based fabrication company against Scandinavian gas processing and conversion company, including successful collection of award through enforcement action in foreign court.
- Represented nonparticipating royalty interest owner, recovering hundreds of thousands of dollars in underpaid royalties.
- Defeated certification of purported class action in securities fraud case against national brokerage firm, including upholding denial of certification on appeal to Fifth Circuit.
- Obtained multiple trial court judgments in favor of national telecommunications company against various consumer lawsuits alleging breach of contract, DTPA violations and fraud.
- Obtained seven figure recovery on behalf of software developer against former business partners in fraud, contract, and fiduciary duty matter that involved various litigation matters from Brazil to Texas.
- Decision in the Fifth Circuit on matter of first impression in any federal appeals court, holding that various services of telecommunications company are not subject to the bankruptcy code’s utility provisions.
- Defended a national brokerage firm in arbitration against claimant alleging unauthorized trading and breach of fiduciary duty, and obtained award on counterclaim reimbursing client for all fees incurred.
State Bar of Texas
United States District Court for the Southern, Western, Northern, and Eastern Districts of Texas
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Texas A&M University, B.A.
South Texas College of Law Houston, J.D., Cum Laude
–South Texas Law Review, Assistant Editor
Associations and Honors
Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
Houston Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
Houston Bar Association
Texas Aggie Bar Association
Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas, Board Member
Greater Houston Partnership, International Investment and Trade Advisory Committee
St. Anne’s Catholic Church Foundation, Board Member
Texas Super Lawyers® by Thomson Reuters (Business Litigation) in 2022
Texas Rising Stars® by Thomson Reuters (Business Litigation) in 2005-2015